Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS
Have you ever wondered about the people who made your favorite mug, shirt or chair? In Why Do We Have Things?, Rita Mehta of The American Edit and Erin Husted of Hackwith Design House interview the independent designers, artists, small business owners and creatives behind our favorite things.
Today’s guest is Marc Bain, a fashion writer for Quartz. Rita talks to Marc about his background in writing and apparel production and how that led to his brilliant article (and shopping theory), “Your next item of clothing should be so expensive it hurts”
NOTES FROM THE SHOW
– Read Marc’s articles on Quartz
– Follow Marc on Twitter
– Read Jenni Avins’s articles on Quartz
– Industry Standard – the Everlane of Denim
– Read Dena Shanker’s articles on Quartz
– Read Marc’s article on the home-based economy.
– Learn more about WIEGO, a a global network focused on securing livelihoods for the working poor, especially women, in the informal economy
– Learn more about Linda Greer’s work for the NRDC’s Health & Environment programs
– Prior to Quartz, Marc worked in production for Siki Im
– Marc recommends Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Fast Fashion by Elizabeth Cline
– Marc recommends Dior & I
Thank you so much for listening! We’d also really appreciate it if you would subscribe and leave us a review in iTunes. I really hate to ask for stuff like this, but here’s why it matters: the more reviews and subscriptions we get, the more likely people are to find the podcast, and then the more likely we are to be able to get rad interviewees, improve our sound, etc. So if you take the few minutes to subscribe and review, we can provide you with even better content throughout the year!
Thank you to our amazing sponsors: APPOINTED | Hackwith Design House. Interested in sponsoring WDWHT? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!