Have you ever wondered about the people who made your favorite mug, shirt or chair? In Why Do We Have Things?, Rita Mehta of The American Edit and Erin Husted of Hackwith Design House interview the independent designers, artists, small business owners and creatives behind our favorite things.
Today’s guest is Nicole Najafi, founder of Industry Standard, a direct to consumer denim brand founded by Nicole Najafi to deliver premium quality (the industry standard…) denim without a higher price point. Industry Standard jeans are designed in New York and made in the denim district of LA, using Cone Denim from North Carolina. Rita & Nicole talk about the process of launching Industry Standard when coming from a digital marketing background, the conscientious compromises we make every day, and about focusing on real, thoughtful products – and relationships – while building your business.
NOTES FROM THE SHOW:
– Industry Standard
– Industry Standard Factory Tour on TAE
– Fivestory New York, IS’s first wholesale partner
– Fugitive Denim: A Moving Story of People and Pants in the Borderless World of Global Trade
– Giejo Swim
– Industry Standard’s brilliant size Calculator Tool
– Bad Feminist
– The Life Changing Magic of Tidying… (again!)
– How Empowerment became something for women to buy
– The 4% : Hollywood’s Gender Problem
– our favorite Instagram account these days… Hillary Street Style
COMING THIS WEEK: UNEDITED, A MONTHLY NEWSLETTER FROM TAE!
Thank you so much for listening! We’d also really appreciate it if you would subscribe and leave us a review in iTunes or share #whydowewehavethings with your friends or on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram!